Friday, December 16, 2011

GLSEN- Reflection

So I took some time to log on and check out GSLEN.org today, and I have to say that I was more than impressed with the website. As I was searching around, it came to me that we spend so much time understanding culture and how it affects people in the classroom, and how we should allow kids to identify with that culture. In a way, when people realize they are LGBTQ, it almost becomes their culture in the sense that its something with which they identify. Its a way to organize people, just like if you are spanish, African American, or whatever bubble you fill in on the surveys. I posted the link to this website on my facebook, and I noticed that there was a link talking specifiically about bullying and how much it hurts and can effect people. It immediately made me think of this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tRXjqpfOnS0

My cousin is a Lesbian. Shes my bestfriend in the entire world Id give my life for her. And I would never allow anyone to mistreat her in any way on my watch, but I know people have. People can be real monsters when they want to be. Everything that Ive been through this semester and dealt with, really makes me realize that people can be absolute monsters. It makes me want to push myself harder than ever now. Im not a bad kid and I never was, its just that noone understood me. I was a class clown in highschool, but theres only so much that someone can take. I want to be a teacher so I can help kids that feel like I felt.

No comments:

Post a Comment